[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 07:56:31 CET 2010

On dimanche 07 novembre 2010 at 00:54, andre999 wrote :
> Olivier Thauvin a écrit :
> > * andre999 (andr55 at laposte.net) wrote:
> > So to update from -1 to -3 I'll download around 300KB but to upgrade
> > from -2 to -3 I'll download the full rpm so maybe around 20MB (in the
> > case the rpm is 20MB) ?
>
> No no no no no !
> If from -1 to -3 is 300K, then upgrading from -2 to -3 would still be
> 300K.
>
> Of course, this raises the point that the names of the original files in
> -1 will have to be retained after updates, as well as the names of files
> replacing them, in order to make the additional updates.  (And remove
> any interim updates subsequently replaced.)

But what append if a file modified in an update is rolled back in a
subsequent update?

Let's say revision -1 of a package contains files A B and C, an update to
revision -2 changes B to B', then it is realised that the problem was
actually in file C and not B, so in revision -3 B' is replaced by original B
and C is replaced by C'.
So the delta between -1 and -3 only contains C', so if someone updates with
the delta from revision -2 he will still have B' as the delta won't contain
B which was in the original -1 revision.

> This could be facilitated by making the names of the replacement files
> in delta updates the original file name + a suffix corresponding to the
> delta update.

I don't understand, the files need to have the correct name to work once
installed, or are you proposing that on an update to keep all previous files
by suffixing them?

--
Renaud Michel