[Mageia-discuss] Suggestions for the ISO

doug dougrb at o2.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 10:48:03 CET 2010

On 06/11/10 19:40, andre999 wrote:
> Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>> 2010/11/6 Renaud (Ron)
>> OLGIATI<renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org>:
>>> I understand bending backward to help those people in
>>> backward countries who
>>> cannot download, but should we be bothered with those, in
>>> the first world, who
>>> are too stingy to get a proper Internet connection ?
>> What is such a question supposed to be?
>> I do not see any difference between backward or forward
>> countries, I
>> only see users with large bandwidth and such with small
>> bandwidth. You
>> may never heard about it but there are large regions in
>> the so-called
>> "First World" which are not yet connected to the internet
>> in a proper
>> way (I know regions in Germany where you are lucky to have
>> a dial-up
>> connection). As I learned there are also regions in the US
>> which are
>> as far industrialized as your favourite "backward country".
>>
>> Then there is the cost of fast connections - not everybody
>> has the
>> money to pay for 6MBit lines in countries where such
>> connections are
>> expensive. And not everybody can put internet costs on top
>> of his
>> priority list.
>>
>> Yes, we should be bothered with those.
>
> Exactly.
> I'm in the region of Montréal, Canada, where broadband is
> common, but high bandwidth is *very* expensive.
> Personally I have slow ADSL (technically broadband), but
> with a not very high monthly limit.
> Luckily, I can take my portable to the local library to
> download my Mandriva DVDs for free.
> Most people in this supposedly favored region do not have
> this option.
> (i.e., no ADSL or not high limit or the local library
> doesn't provide free Internet or no portable.)
<snip>

Likewise, Italy has high bandwidth, but I'm in a rural area
without broadband where dial-up internet is unusable because
the connection is too intermittent, short-lived and erratic.
The only way of getting onto the internet is by mobile
broadband  - and even that's not particularly fast in this
location.

Doug