[Mageia-discuss] Introducing mageia-app-db

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Mon Nov 8 14:43:42 CET 2010

Le vendredi 5 novembre 2010 06:38:14, andre999 a écrit :
> As far as the question of application/package view goes, folding entries
> (as in Rpmdrake groups or Nautilus) which expands to multi-line would be
> nice.
> That way complex packages like Openoffice or Firefox could be folded
> into 2 or 3 lines.
> (1 for localisation, another possibly for optional modules, another for
> core modules.)
> Now Firefox is more than 100 packages.
> This sort of suggestion has been made for Rpmdrake.
> The advantage of this approach is that the minimised view could be the
> default, and at any time it can be expanded to show all packages,
> without any configuration settings.

I'm not against, however how can we define those groups ? Is there a way to automate it ? Is it necessary to define it manually (and so to maintain it so have maintainers of these groups definitions) ?

How can we do for libs which are shared by many different applications ?

The idea sounds nice, but I'd like to see real examples, with answers to these questions :)

Regards

> For downloads/installation, using Rpmdrake (or equivalent) would be
> preferable in most cases, as it could directly update the installed rpm
> database.

Installation from the website would not bypass media and rpm database. This would only be shortcuts. One thing the website can't know however is what packages are currently installed on your system, whereas rpmdrake can. I don't plan to find a way to make it know it for now (too much implications).

> However I think this project would be excellent for the other suggested
> uses.

Thanks, we'll try to do it right :)

Regards

Samuel Verschelde