[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Sat Nov 20 09:53:30 CET 2010

Le 2010-11-18 04:22, Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> so, logo proposals deadline was past week, Monday Nov. 9th. Proposals
> were sent to http://www.flickr.com/groups/mageia-art/pool/ (you may
> need to be logged in Flickr to actually see all proposals).
>
> First, on behalf of the board, let me thank all artists who invested
> in this and published a proposal. 113 posters, for 429 posts. There
> have been lots of different ideas, some matching the guidelines
> (http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artguide#logo_design_guidelines),
> some not matching. So again, thank you to all, a lot, for your ideas
> and your work.

Yes, a heartfelt congratulations to all of those who contributed. Very
much appreciated.

My four picks (in order of preference) and reasons are:

1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316230@N06/5141934927/

-- logo with the 4 elements earth, wind, water, fire. I like the concept
that Mageia comes from these 4 elements of which we are all connected.
The concept is recognisable by most people as it is taught early in most
school systems. It also fits in with the "magic" of the brand. The
placement of the word "Mageia" would have to be worked so that the logo
is compact. I would prefer keeping the groups of 4 elements in a square
pattern with "Mageia" trailing on the right hand side. Perhaps the logo
could be the 4 elements in a square pattern with the letter "M" glued to
the right hand site so that the logo itself could stand alone without
the Mageia word.

2.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316230@N06/5063070488/

-- logo with the compass with the needle pointing to NE which is the "M"
for Mageia. In French there is the saying: " ... perdu le nord." which
means that someone has lost her/his direction or sanity / reasoning. But
in this case Mageia has been found because the needle is pointing to the
"M". I don't like the flame above the "I" of the "Mageia". I would like
to see a version with giving "Mageia" word a gradient colour change from
left (blue) to right (a colour from the branding palette). Just as an
experiment. I think that the icon could easily stand on its own and
people would eventually identify it with "Mageia". There is also a
French band "Solus" that sings this title "Perdu le Nord"
(http://vimeo.com/6878932)

3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigger-gg/5027064477/

-- I can't say I like the font, but I do like the idea with the tail of
the "M" of Mageia curling around the letter. If we could give this a
little more style, I think the tail "M" logo would become recognisable.

4. I like the idea of the orb that looks like it is either surfacing or
plunging into the liquid matter. It looks more like it is surfacing from
the liquid. I can't say that I like the angle or the font of "Mageia",
but the idea could work if there was an attached slogan "Mageia Linux
... your orbit of knowledge." or something to help it stick. I wonder it
the "Mageia" would look better placed at the top of the liquid waves in
a quarter circle format (like the one on the image but angled the
opposite way).

Cheers

Marc