[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Dale Huckeby spock at evansville.net
Sun Nov 21 22:08:58 CET 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

> 2010/11/21 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
>> What do all the others? What does the logo at the upper right of this page
>> say: http://www.deutsche-bank.de/index.htm
>> Nothing? But still, it's the biggest bank in Germany...
>
> Well, actually the DB logo does say something. The square resembles
> the safe vault, the slash is the slash of the percent character,
> standing for interest wins. That's the explanation of the designer who
> created it. The original was a square with a roof and the complete
> percent character inside.
>
> And, as Thorsten wrote, the creator of this cauldron logo also
> explains the meaning.
>
> What strikes me most is the simplicity. A 3-year old can take a stick
> and scratch it in the sand.

Designers usually have explanations, whether or not they're relevant,
but I doubt very much that the average person who encounters that logo
sees a representation of a vault and percent character, never mind the
proffered slogan.  They "see" the bank.  What strikes you as simplicity
strikes me as cartoonish.  I can see its appeal but it doesn't work for
me.  I prefer a logo that's three-dimensional rather than an outline,
but that's just my aesthetic taste.

Dale Huckeby