[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Sun Nov 21 18:52:37 CET 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:22:21AM +0100, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
> Hi everyone,

... snip
> Step 3. will happen within the coming days during the discussion; for
> this, you may add your criteria proposals to the above wiki page - it
> may be used or not. You may list your top 4 favorites (here, by
> email). Artists in the short-list may refine (not mandatory, really)
> their proposal and mark it with a "mga refined" tag.
>
> We are Thursday Nov. 18th. That makes the public discussion open until
> Wednesday Nov. 24th. Board final selection will be done in the days
> after, and announcement likewise, depending on the progress of
> refinements and legal processes. So first week of December, hopefully,
> should be decent expectation for step 6.
>
> As said several times, please note that:
>  - only the founding board will close the selection and decide which
> logo is the one;
>  - this will not prevent from listening to everyone's point of view on
> the short list proposals.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Romain
Hello,

Thanks for taking time to review our proposals.

I refined my proposal to provide the necessary elements :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54217230@N05/5195308848/

I’m having some troubles in providing a text only version because I’m
not experienced in font making, basically just the M and g changed from
the standard bitstream vera sans font (and I added a dot on the iota).

I already commented on some of the shortlisted proposals, but here is my
top 4:

1. Ofaurax’ proposal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ofaurax/5118935499/
It’s really neat and I think it allows much more alternatives than mine.
I also like the fact that it looks related to the project, its design is
quite simple yet very efficient

2. F. Tizzoni’s proposal: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennael/5021614782/
I love this one because it shows the openness of the project, the
colours are also quite uncommon among our competitors which may help to
build a unique visual identity.

3. Rarroyo23 proposal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43049453@N04/5094404790/
This one does not evoke anything special at first glance but I quite
like the idea, and the gradient is well chosen.

The font is not that pretty though and the reflection is a bit overused
these days.

4. AlexN83 proposal:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316230@N06/5095733855/
I like the concept of the bubbles, but to be electable it should get rid
of both the linux and star.

I had quite hard time to choose the last two, IMHO many logos are either
too sophisticated or don’t evoke something special or look too much like
other logos. It’s not that they’re not pretty, many look better than
mine !

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD