[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 07:20:37 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Wolfgang Bornath
<molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/22 Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>:
>> 2010/11/22 andre999 <andr55 at laposte.net>:
>>>
>>> So in choosing the logo, try pretending you have never heard of Mageia, have
>>> never packaged an rpm, and never distributed a Linux ISO.
>>
>> In this case the very last thing I'd look at is the logo.
>> I may look at the colors of a screenshot, I may look at the selection
>> of useful applications, I may look at reports in magazines or
>> websites, I may even look at the design of the cardboard box on the
>> shelves. But the logo is the last thing I'd look at, no matter what
>> kind of product I am looking for.
>> I have no clue about chain-saws, never had one in my hands. Do you
>> really think I'd look at logos for one second when I go shopping for
>> such a tool? I'd be very dumb to judge anything by the logo!
>>

> But I DO look for a logo once I found a product useful or good, I look
> for the logo to find news, reports, anything, about this product. Then
> it is very useful for me if the logo is simple enough to be remembered
> and recognized whenever I see it anywhere.
>
> --
> wobo

Kinda agree.

If the distro defines the logo, then any random piece of crap logo will do.

If the (undefined, unestablished) logo defines the distro, then we are
attracting users that are so superficial as to be useless as a target
market.

The logo should, I feel, be unlike other distro logos so as to be
easily discernible from them.

The logo may be abstract or obtuse or both or neither; it need not be
symbolic of anything nor have any hidden meaning because it will, in
time, come to be associated with Mageia and Mageia with it and all
it's "hidden" and mysterious symbolic meaning will become forgotten
(Remember the Kool Desktop Environment?). Let us not over-geek the
process.

So I suggest we are looking for something simple, unique, easy to
identify in favicon sizes and look good in black-and-white as well as
colour. So perhaps the logo overlords should sieve the candidates for
that and ask the artists to re-submit in black-and-white to level the
playing field. The more elaborate candidates could be developed as
themes.

--
Hoyt