[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Tue Nov 30 04:01:14 CET 2010

Romain d'Alverny a écrit :
> Step 1. already occurred:
> ... first short list of 77 files:http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/mgared/
>
> Step 2. is the reason of this mail. 77 is still a lot,
> ... we prefer to start the discussion now.
> We are Thursday Nov. 18th. That makes the public discussion open until
> Wednesday Nov. 24th.

(I got a second identical message - this time it must be for mgaorange)

Luckily, my red list choices are still in the orange list :)
So I mostly restate what I said then :

First of all, I think that despite the guidelines, "Linux" should
usually be included with the logo and "Mageia", if not an integral part
of the logo.
After all, we are promoting/presenting the Mageia variety of Linux.
I like putting "mageia" in lower case - except maybe the "m" - and
putting "LINUX" in small caps below, to the right of the "g".

My preferences, in approximate order are :
1) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/42998910@N02/5078260989/>
     mageia_variations by gejobj.
These are 11 variations (by colour/font) of the same logo.
These are based on
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/42998910@N02/5012718103/> marisa_mageia_v2
by the same designer, also on the selection list.
A cube showing 3 faces, forming an "M" below and an "L" above, with
"Mageia" to the right, and a small "Linux" below to the right of the "g".
My prefered colour scheme is column 2 row 2. (blue+green "M", orange
"L", violet "Linux")
My prefered font for "mageia" is column 2 row 4 (last), due to open "g"
(simpler) and "a" (not easily confused with "o").
For "Linux" it is column 1 row 7 (last), non-serif proportional small caps.
----

2) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/ennael/5021614786/>
  mageia_ftizzoni05 by ennael, from F. Tizzoni.
An "M" formed of 4 oblique rectangles, 2 tones of violet, 2 tones of
orange, with "Mageia" below to the right, an orange dot on the "i".
Very distinctive.
For colours, the orange is very nice.  Maybe the violet could be light
green or blue-green instead ?
The font is ok, except I would use an open "a", to avoid confusion with "o".
(This was listed as my 4th choice last time, because it had been removed
from the MageiaRed pages.)
----

3) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/54316230@N06/5063070488/>
     mageia7_1-01 by alexn83
compass with "Mageia" to the right.
I would use the "M" on the simpler dial above, oriented to NE so as to
hide the points NE and SW.  This simpler image should scale better.
I would also make the circle regular.
These changes should make it more easily recognisable in different
contexts as well.
And without the direction letters, multilingual :)

For the font I would use a sans-serif proportional, with the "a"s open
to the left, to be more readable.
I would apply this font to the "M" on the compass as well.
And no colour gradiant in the font.  (Leave that to the image.)
The colours go well together.
Note that this proposal seems very similar to another computer logo that
I've seen in the past, but I can't place it.
----

4) <http://www.flickr.com/photos/55329486@N03/5134846325/>
     mageia_logo_6 by sisopetron
Mageia in black with a green star for point of the "i", surrounded, in
background, by 5 circles, filled in progressively lighter blue.
The 5 spheres representing 5 continents ?
The font is ok, except I would use an open "a", to avoid confusion with "o".
The green star would be better reduced in size - so as to not overlap
the letters.  The green makes a very nice accent.
The version with green-blue instead of blue in the spheres looks also
very nice.
----

my 2 cents :)

- André