[Mageia-discuss] Logo proposals discussion

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:26:54 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Then, after the first step of selection was made there was more time
> to refine/change and tell about it.

Then all submissions not following the guidelines should be removed
from final consideration.

Or are the guidelines so unimportant that they need not be followed?

Or is there a third option here?

If the guidelines are important and useful and some good submissions
did not follow them, remediation should be in order and the short-list
submitters should be asked to resubmit in compliance or their
submissions will not be considered. A few day's time should be
sufficient for them to modify their own artwork and this is not too
large a burden on the submitter or the community nor an unreasonable
request.

> There had to be a deadline eventually.

Of course, and it should be very firm if we were working with paid
professionals, but in the case of community-oriented contributions, a
strict adherence would be a foolish and wasteful consistency. It might
have been better at the beginning if the person in charge had
responded "Thank you for your submission, but it does not meet the
submission guidelines posted at LINK. Please re-read the guidelines
and re-submit if you desire that your work be considered. If you have
specific questions about the guidelines, you may contact MAIL." Then,
if they don't care enough about their work to comply or have the
desire to follow through, they are excluded.

Accepting general user input in matters will always require additional
admin work, unless the BOFH style of management is preferred. While
that may be *NIX tradition, it will not generate much input from
potentially valuable neophyte sources nor grow the community.

--
Hoyt