[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva is switching to rpm5, and other news

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 02:01:15 CET 2010

Op donderdag 02 december 2010 23:09:14 schreef Morgan Leijström:
> ADDING to what i just wrote:
> > A week or so old news but I saw it now...
> >
> > <http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2011.0_specs_proposal#Swith_to_rpm5>
> > <http://ostatic.com/blog/whats-coming-in-mandriva-2011>
> > <http://proyvind.net/wordpress/?p=71>
> >
> > Citing proyvind from last link:
> > "...I think we will end up being able to be the awesome alternative in
> > the forked world, hoping for interest of other distros, actively
> > inviting their participation and offering to help merge,..."
>
> - i forgot to paste the best part:
>
> "I’m curious about what stance Mageia will take on this though, I’m
> certainly hoping they will adopt our work and allow for us to help them
> and contribute back and forth, if not I fear they’ll miss out on several
> changes in just perl-URPM done recently during rpm5 rewrite, and even more
> so those planned when rpm5 upgrade situtation settles.."
>
> > There are also other goodies in the middle link i hope we can coopreate
> > with them on.

well, i'm not adverse to cooperation, but RPM5 is in my opinion FAR too
unstable to be used for use on our first release.

I would say, let mandriva find the bugs first and let it give rpm5 a testrun
with their users; by the time we hit our second release, we will have a for
sure stable version of it.