[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva breakage warning *** important ***

Diego Bello dbello at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 21:30:24 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Michael scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 08:44:00AM +0100, Juergen Harms wrote:
> > I just found this message from Florian Hubold in the cooker mailing list
> >
> > >todays update for mandriva-release-common from main/updates from
> > >2010.1 breaks mirrorlist and therefore urpm*-tools altogether
> > >when a placeholder like $RELEASE is used with mirrorlist,
> > >and as this seems to be the default setup, many machines
> > >will be hit by this, effectively disabling package management.
> >
> > The server for the Mandriva forums appears to be (already?) broken,
> > no possibility to warn people via that evident way - maybe this copy
> > can help to minimise annoyance.
>
> Ok, so I doubt people will listen to me, and I know that you are trying to
> help,
> but this is mageia-discuss, not mandriva-discuss.
>
> If we start to discuss Mandriva breakage and evolution here, people will
> not
> really see the 2 community as separate. And if they do not see us as a
> separate
> community, we will carry the bad reputation of Mandriva for the next 10
> years
> because people will think "mageia == mandriva".
>
> As you surely doubt, reputation is z problem that can be quite hard and
> long
> to overcome as we learned in the past, and quite damaging for the success
> of a project
> in the long run. So it
> is better to start now, by simply being fully separate from Mandriva and by
> doing everything
> we can to make sure we are not seen as a 2nd Mandriva. And this include
> seeing Mageia
> community as a separate entity, not as another Mandriva users community.
>
> So in the light of this explanation, could people please keep Mandriva
> related topic
> on Mandriva mailling list ?
>
> --
> Michael Scherer

Considering that most of us here are still using Mandriva, cause there has
not been a Mageia release yet, it is important that we know something can be
broken in the system we use to work and collaborate to Mageia.

I do agree that, in the near future, we should focus only in Mageia, but for
now we are still in between worlds.

--
Diego Bello Carreño