[Mageia-discuss] Fwd: Results of the App Installer Meeting

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Wed Jan 26 22:08:17 CET 2011

Le mercredi 26 janvier 2011 19:37:42, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> Le mercredi 26 janvier 2011 à 17:11 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen a
>
> écrit :
> > Hi Samuel,
> >
> > 2011/1/26 Samuel Verschelde <stormi at laposte.net>:
> > > Here is the mail Vincent Untz just sent to
> > > distributions at lists.freedesktop.org about the results of the
> > > cross-distributions Nürnberg meeting.
> >
> > To your knowledge, has any thought been put into localization of
> > package descriptions?
> > What role, if any, does PackageKit play in all this?
>
> AFAIK, this is a side problem. Vincent and Anne already have tried to
> discuss this issue at FOSDEM last year, but that's ( as you may know ) a
> quite difficult issue.
>
> But since the plan is to use .desktop files, and since .desktop files
> are translated ( or can be translated would be more exact ), it would be
> the start of a solution.

In what was agreed upon in the meeting, short "one-line" descriptions for
applications should belong to .desktop files (in fact, the Ubuntu Software
Center already reads them from there).

For the longer descriptions, I had some difficulty motivated the other attendees
on the subject (more urgent matters to decide in 2 days), but it was more or
less decided that the metadata servers (for screenshots, ratings, etc.) should
have localized descriptions. Nothing has been decided yet about the
translation process, though, it's still open.

This relates only to applications. For package descriptions in themselves, we
could either decide that those technical descriptions don't need translation,
or else it's still up to each distribution to work on the subject, although
the work being done on cross-distribution package name matching could maybe
help mutualizing some things (for example fall back to debian translated
descriptions if available when no description for mageia exists in your
language...).

Regards

Samuel Verschelde