[Mageia-discuss] Contributing Howto : need help

Thomas Lottmann skiperdrake at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 03:28:07 CET 2011

Le 10/02/2011 03:17, Hoyt Duff a écrit
> I ran that page through Google Translations and it looks quite good.
>
> The initial paragraph translates as:
> Mandriva Linux is a free operating system. It can be freely modified
> and improved by its users and members of the community of this system.
> The spirit of this system is summarized in a manifesto.
>
> To me, this does not fully explain the use of "free" in the context of
> Mandriva/Magia. This topic (free as in beer/free as in freedom) is
> always one of much debate in any FOSS community.  I propose:
>
> Mandriva Linux is an operating system based primarily on Open Source
> code and licensed in a way to provide users and developers with
> greater freedom than proprietary, restricted code.  It can be modified
> and improved by its users and members of the community of this system.
> The spirit of this system is summarized in a manifesto.
>
> Nice job otherwise, although it could be more concise since it's
> supposed to be an introductory page. It will take me a while to digest
> it fully.

This page is written in French, which is a slightly more precise
language than French.

So, indeed the roles and paragraphs will have to be more precise in
English (precise free as in free speech, the word "libre" actually seems
to be used in this sense in some cases). The word free in English is
much less evident than it's French equivalents.

The work on the Mandriva Wiki is rather incomplete. But the first step
I'd like to see when the definitive Mageia Wiki will be in place would
be to import the Mandriva One to continue the work that has been done
since 2007, programming a temporrary bot to rename all references to
Mandriva into Mageia, and continue the work on such articles that are
unachieved. The improvements are a set of wholes articles to add and
polishing/rewriting of the existing paragraphs. It is the case for this
article, and it is indeed important for potential and current
contributors to find their way with more ease I believe.