[Mageia-discuss] A name for mageia-app-db

P. Christeas p_christ at hol.gr
Sat Feb 12 15:14:53 CET 2011

On Saturday 12 February 2011, Rémi Verschelde wrote:
> 2011/2/11 George J. Walsh <gjwalsh at dscvcp.org>:
> > Or maybe, with tongue in cheek, PackRack?
> >
> > I get a little weary of the app thing (too much of the Apple core in
> > there!) A package is a pack and a rack is where one stores one's packs.
> >
> > George
>
> I'm not too fond of the App-Whatever either, sounds too Apple-ish to me.
> I don't really like terms such as Store or Market which evocate buying
> stuff, I think the main purpose of Mageia-app-db will be to install
> free/non-free but free of charge softwares.
>
> I would prefer a name which can be less functional (not necessarily
> describing what the software does) but with more poetry :)
> If it can be both that's great.
>
> Rémi

I agree. We'd better stay away of anything that resembles to market (as in
consumer products), Apple or Google products.

Strictly speaking, agora (αγορά) is still permitted, because in the ancient
times it was the place of gathering, talks and fruitful dialogs. But at
present, here, this word is used as the market meaning. We don't want to have
to explain everybody the full story, when they hear the word, do we?

Although being Greek, I wouldn't vote for any fancy greek word, if that's not
also easily digested by other cultures. So, catalogue (κατάλογος) seems fine,
while γοήτευμα	is way too explicit (it's even hard to find latin letters to
write it).

My humble thoughts.

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!