[Mageia-discuss] Automatic selection of uid and gid at installation

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 19 21:24:22 CET 2011

Juergen Harms <Juergen.Harms at unige.ch> schrieb am 2011-02-19
> I realised that Mageia (like Mandriva) creates uids and gids
> starting at 500. Many other distros use 1000 - if you have
> multiple boot system with other linux distros, that means that you
> need to manually specify user ids if you want to access data
> shared between the system partitions.
I don't really understand you there. If you want to access data of
another system the UID (and GID) have to be the same. So you would
have to keep in mind to create users in the same order on each of
those systems.

> How about adding a radio button in the initial User Management
> Screen (the one where you also provide the root login) which
> allows you to define whether you want uids and gids automatically
> created to start at 500 or 1000? That would make life (a little
> bit) easier for a more and more current situation.
The question is, why don't we change to 1000 in general. I think most
distros nowadays do.
Mandriva once tried to use 10000, but that never really worked and
they set it back to 500...

In this respect it would be nice to fix bug #29 :-)

Oliver