[Mageia-discuss] Automatic selection of uid and gid at installation

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Sun Feb 20 02:54:13 CET 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011, my mailbox was graced by a missive
 from Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> who wrote:

> The idea of sharing a /home partition between distros has other problems
> besides accessing it, but some uniformity in the Linux world would be nice.

Another problem arises if you have several users on a system: unless you
create them in the same order when installing the OS, the UIDs and GID will be
a mess.

Up to now, the only solution is to do a chown for each home directory after
the install to restore UIDs and GIDs to the "new" value.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
  Le bon citoyen obéit à la loi ; meilleur est celui qui améliore la loi.
                                                       -- Léon Brunschvicg