[Mageia-discuss] A name for mageia-app-db (round 2)

Rémi Verschelde rverschelde at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:06:40 CET 2011

2011/2/26 andre999 <andr55 at laposte.net>:
> Rémi Verschelde a écrit :
>> I like Galaxy. We could have classy artwork related to galaxies and
>> stars and so on.
>
> We could make the stars move, like in the Microsoft Étoiles screensaver.
> (The applications are always moving/evolving :) )

Or we could have a spiral galaxy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Galaxy) whose center would be
Mageia, and each clickable arm of the galaxy would represent an app
category. It could be moving slowly, but could this be done without a
Flash animation? (Flash lags like hell on my Mandriva without proper
graphic drivers - there's no working driver for my Radeon chipset ^^)
But then it would not be really figurative, and then not really
ergonomic, despite looking great :)

But that could be part of the menu of Mageia Galaxy, "Map of the
galaxy", instead of being the index page.

>> I was thinking of having an index page with a made up galaxy with some
>> clickable star constellations representing a gamepad, a notepad,
>> brushes, etc., for each category of applications.
>> Though, it might not be very ergonomic despite looking good.
>>
>> Rémi
>
> To make it a bit distinctive, it could be spelled "Galaxie".
> (Or always plural, "Galaxies".)
> Since "Galaxy" is used in a lot of different software.
> There is even a Mandriva (or Gnome?) theme called Galaxy.

I was going to suggest the greek root Galaxias, but since it means
"milky" (so "galaxy" may come from the Milky Way), that may not be a
good idea.
"Galaxie" could be okay, but then "Mageia Galaxie" doesn't mean
anything in English ("Mageia Galaxy" would mean that Mageia is the
name of a galaxy) nor in French (where it should "Galaxie Mageia" or
"Galaxie de Mageia"). Though, that may not be a problem :)
BTW, it starts to sound like the Magellanic Clouds, which are two
galaxies of our local group ;)

> BTW, are you 2 related ?
> --
> André