[Mageia-discuss] Linux is a KERNEL not an OS

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Thu Mar 3 00:13:44 CET 2011

On Wednesday 02 March 2011, my mailbox was graced by a missive
 from Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> who wrote:

> Imagine a distribution only supplying Linux and what remains
> from the GNU project (especially Emacs) - would any user actually use
> it (except developpers and "tech freaks")? I serioously doubt that
> this kind of package would never have made it out of the university
> and research labs environment, let alone conquer the business world.

This reminds me of the first distribution I installed arounf 1995 (Slackware)
(which then came on umpteen floppies) and though it had Xwindows, without a WL
it was unusable; only the game Abuse was of any use then !

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                 Was wir nicht verstehen, besitzen wir nicht.
                                -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe