[Mageia-discuss] Leave

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Thu Mar 10 21:21:16 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 11:54:07AM +0100, Cazzaniga Sandro wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sorry to announce you that I'm leaving mageia for various reasons: I
> haven't too many time, with my studies, my mandriva's contributions...
> And I have too make a choice and my choice is Mandriva.
>
> Good luck for mageia guys!
I must say that I am really disappointed by such a move :/

I’m not sure this is the right place but here are some advices to avoid
some troubles, be it in mageia, mandriva or anywhere else

- Be patient. As seen in the other thread you opened, you seem to rush a
  bit too much. Just like you took more than 800 perl packages in
  Mandriva does not looks to me as a good sign. You’d better start
  small, doing little, but doing it well. Now it’s been a bit more than
  a year that you have had a contributor account in Mandriva. At that
  time, I had only 40+ packages, some of which didn’t asked me to do a
  lot to maintain them, which I was using everyday, following upstream
  and so on.
- Be responsible. Having 800+ packages is a responsibility. You may have
  bugs opened for them, maybe lots of bugs. As a maintainer, you are
  responsible for them. The issue with xpaint in Mandriva is
  unacceptable to me. You can’t just break packages, and then let people
  fix them for you.
- Be collaborative. Open source is not just a question of “I can do
  this, so I do it”. To me, it should rather be seen as “If I do this,
  would it be helpful ?”. I tend to think some people imagine that
  giving them commit rights or submission rights give them power. No, it
  does give you rights, but it does also give you duties. Fulfilling the
  second one is not an easy task, so, when you attempt to do something,
  only do it when you are 100% sure you will be able to handle the
  consequences in a reasonable amount of time. That does not mean you
  are alone. When you know it will give you a hard time, announce the
  change before making it. If some other people are motivated to help
  you, and you are enough, you can do^Worganize that change, by
  providing reports, ETAs, so that people can help you if they see it
  takes more time than it should.
- Subsequently, learn to estimate how much time it would require to do
  some change. Packaging some small game is not the same thing as
  packaging texlive. And if you tell you will do something, do it, try
  as hard as you can to do it, but don’t give up or you won’t be taken
  seriously.

Maybe there are other things I haven’t thought of.

Good luck,
--
Rémy CLOUARD