[Mageia-discuss] [Mageia-dev] Live CDs available for tests

You-Cheng Hsieh yochenhsieh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:16:00 CEST 2011

2011/4/29 Oliver Burger <oliver.bgr at googlemail.com>:
> Otto <ottosa at gmail.com> schrieb am 29.04.2011
>> great news cause live cds are very important to a great distro.
>
> Are they? There was quite some discussion about that (and our missing
> beta-1 live cds) on one of the German linux news portals.
> The result was more or less, that live cds are nice to have. Beta live
> cds are of use - but only to test if the live cds arev working.
> To really test a distribution you need to install it, either in a vm
> or better on real hardware...
>
> Oliver

With live CD available, one can test a distribution on more variety of
hardware without the need to install it. For some circumstances, live
USB are even better especially if there's no optical drives available.

Choose one:
- Download a 4GB dvd iso and burn it, then install on five real
hardware. Each takes 20~40 mins to install.
- Download a 700MB cd iso and burn it, then boot on five real
hardware. Each takes usually less than 5 mins to boot.

It's always a good thing to have different ways to use/install a
distribution, and people can choose the way which suits their needs.

Regards,

You-Cheng Hsieh