[Mageia-discuss] Easyurpmi forMageia ?

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Mon May 23 09:41:22 CEST 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 17:47, Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/22 Romain d'Alverny <rdalverny at gmail.com>:
>>> Question - what is more difficult: come to a common opinion on a solution
>>> where everybody is happy, or do the corresponding implementation???
>>
>> You won't please everybody anyway. So prototype something
>> working/square enough for evaluation, with constraints/rules you find
>> (or even better, find an existing solution - there must be some
>> already existing). That suppose that the need is properly defined,
>> written down first (part of it is "what is not satisfying currently"
>> and "how can this be done within Mageia infrastructure").
>
> I think I already defined the (long time existing) requirements properly, not?

I was not answering your point at the time. But yes. Is there a bug
(or a set of these) open about this topic? (because these should be
assigned for Mageia 2 milestone, not before at least).

> I don't think there is an already existing solution in Mandriva/Mageia
> (as I said, it was a longterm and still existing bug in mandriva with
> no change so far).

I think that, having to still manually handle this, most of the time,
is the thing to fix. Easyurpmi was a useful manual solution in its
time for a given context.

Although it is no question to remove the ability to manually handle
this if needed, improving the automatic way is the real issue.

A service that:
 - manages a list of mirrors that are up to date for a given set of
files (be it RPMs or ISOs),
 - answers a list of best mirrors for a given client location (with
better criterias than just "belongs to the same country") and a given
set of files,

is not so uncommon (had I more time right now, I'd investigate the
server-side of things with MirrorBrain or some equivalent, at least to
improve the accuracy of the list of mirrors returned by the server -
this would be useful for both direct ISOs downloads and
packages/updates downloads).

> - a filter option to select only mirrors with tainted repos for those
> who want to use them (a MUST HAVE)
> - urpmi/rpmdrake being able to check the selected mirror for
> availability and uptodate status before using the mirror (a MUST HAVE)
> - ability of urpmi/rpmdrake to switch to another mirror if the
> availability and/or uptodate status is not given (a MUST HAVE)
> - option to switch the mirror during a session if connection speed is
> too slow (compared to other known mirrors) (a NICE TO HAVE)

If there's not one already, bug entries + a master bug would be nice.

Cheers,

Romain