[Mageia-discuss] Easyurpmi forMageia ?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Tue May 24 19:58:08 CEST 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

> 2011/5/24 Ahmad Samir<ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Your statement that you did not know about this option together with
>>> the fact that other experienced long time users (including me) stated
>>> the same shows that the existing page in a wiki does not mean that
>>> everybody should know about it.
>>>

>> I'd been posting that link in the mdv forum for 1-2years, of course
>> old hands wouldn't read it (why would one read an article about
>> something he already knows).
>
> Hmm, I haven't been to the Mandriva forum very often after summer
> 2009. But I read each thread in the German Mandriva user forum and I
> am sure that this was never told there. So, given the fact that many
> German users also read the international Mandriva forum, the
> information must have gone past them as well.
>
>>> A solution would be to make this option visible, like adding it to the
>>> 2 options when you click on the default "Add" button:
>>> 1 Add mirrorlist media - Only updates
>>> 2 Add mirrorlist media - Full set
>>> 3 Add a specific media mirror
>>>

>> Well, no, Only updates and Full set applies to both methods, the
>> MIRRORLIST and specific media mirrors. (IMHO, "updates only" should be
>> dropped, in reality a package in */updates may well require a package
>> from "release", also updates repos don't have the full range of
>> packages in */release).
>
> Agreed. I have been wondering about the reason behind that option for long.
> I took for granted that "Add a specific mirror" includes a full set anyway
> So, option #1 could be dropped and the "Add" button could offer
>   - random mirrors from mirrorlist
>   - specific mirror

Good idea.
But since it isn't randomly selected (unless one closes one's eyes and holds down alternately the
up and down arrows for a few seconds), and considering the menu context, it might be better worded as :
  - add a mirror selected from the Mageia mirror list
  - add a personnally entered mirror

Note that (in Mandriva) it is currently (approximately, translated from French) :
  - add a media specific mirror
  - add a personalised mirror
Obviously somewhat less than clear.

(Also note that in English "mirror list" is 2 words.)

my 2 cents :)

--
André