[Mageia-discuss] [ANN] Power outage at Marseille DC, servers impact

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue May 31 17:24:40 CEST 2011

Le samedi 28 mai 2011 à 14:59 +0300, P. Christeas a écrit :

> > Servers are back. According to perenoel, they just lacked the proper
> > option to start after a power loss, so we will need to check this next
> > time we go see them ( either we forgot to set that, or there is a
> > problem with bios such as a empty battery ).
>
> Good question, aren't we able to read the bios registers through any piece of
> software (on Linux, of course) ?

We can, we just do not know the semantic of every bytes and registers :)
Being able to manage the bios from a running system would be a
compelling use case for a open source replacement, IMHO, but that
doesn't seems to be a wide spread idea.

> With ipmi, I thought this would be possible. I don't know if your servers are
> ipmi or acpi.

IIRC, only alamut has a management card, and IPMI.

None of the others servers in Marseille have it.

--
Michael Scherer