[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Fri Jun 3 19:48:15 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 08:32:10PM +0300, Ahmad Samir wrote:
>On 3 June 2011 17:30, Remco Rijnders <remco at webconquest.com> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> In the past few days since the release (and also before, but less
>> frequently) I notice a number of requests for help and assistance for a
>> variety of issues being posted on this list. To me this seems to be not
>> really on topic for this list which, to my understanding, is more aimed at
>> discussing the direction of Mageia for future releases and the role Mageia
>> should play in the larger free software community.
>>

>"Mageia-discuss is about Mageia general discussions: future plans,
>community, association, ... Feel free to ask any questions here."
>c.f. https://www.mageia.org/mailman/listinfo/mageia-discuss
>
>I am not sure, if the "any questions" part includes support, but I
>think so. History tells us that the higher the number of mailing lists
>the higher the number of unused-and-left-to-cobwebs mailing lists
>become...

Would that not obsolete half our mailing lists though if "any questions"
are on topic on this list? I interpretate it as "any questions on the
aforementioned topics", though I agree that "..." leaves a lot of room
open to interpretation.

I find it hard to believe though that a mageia-users@ list would end up
being a cobweb-list, though I could be wrong.

To me, "discuss" is related to topics that warrant discussion. It's about
things where different and even opposing points of view may exist and can
be worked out through a series of communications back and forth.

Support questions are not a discussion, they are simple matters of "I have
a problem, how do I get it it fixed for me?". There are no opposing points
of view, only different suggestions based on the interpretation of what
the poster's problem is and the understanding of it by the helpful reader
willing to assist. I can well understand that a person subscribed to this
list might not be interested in end-user questions, just as much as a
person needing or providing help might be interested in "political
bickering" on the mageia-discuss list.

Thanks Ahmad for your feedback :)

Remco