[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sat Jun 4 06:12:19 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 12:25:03PM +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 10:04:10 AM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
>> Yes, posting here achieved a faster result. But this is not because ml
>> of users would be better. It is because you posted where there was more
>> people available and less questions.
>
>What I like about mailing lists/Usenet is:
>
>(a) I see everrything that comes up.  Good for general education, when I am
>not an IT person. I can't broswe a forum the same way; perhaps that is just
>me.

I'm much the same way. Posts to a mailing list I will read, most things on
a forum I just miss as it goes on. Only exception to that mailing list
rule is the Mageia bugs list, there I do need to cherry pick what I read
due to the massive amounts of mail it gets.

Another thing I like is that I can sort, mark, filter and read mails on a
list in any way I like be it from home or at work in a client of my own
choice.

>(b) the occasional humorous exchanges.  Yes, they can get out of hand, but not
>too often.

Ditto. I think a mailing list is more likely to have humour on it. Perhaps
it is more likely to have flamewars on it too, but I find that when I find
that I'm losing my cool it is best to take a few steps back from it, no
matter what the format is.

Remco