[Mageia-discuss] Thoughts on an install

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Sat Jun 4 21:27:10 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:

> A minor annoyance: in the users config at the end of the install, there are
> only two user icons to choose from; the Mdv user icons, with various skin and
> hair colours were much appreciated by the four users who work on this box.

But maybe not penguins again? IMHO magical creatures like unicorns or
dragons don't look as friendly, though (:

> A worse annoyance: under Mdv I could click right and left simultaneously to
> emulate centre centre click and paste; this does not work in Mageia.

This is an Xorg evdev driver option, see man evdev (Emulate3Buttons). I
thought it could be configured with drakxtools but can't find it now.

>From the documentation, the solution appears to be to create a file in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with contents:

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier "mice"
   MatchIsPointer "True"
   Option "Emulate3Buttons" "True"
EndSection

but I have not tested this so it may not work. My mouse has 3 real buttons
so I don't need this feature (:

> The Printer install in MCC does not "see" my USB-connected HP all-in-one, I
> have to configure it with hp-setup.

We need a printerdrake maintainer to look at such problems.

> A number of packages that I need (or like) have been dropped: Skype, Qcad,
> Gweled and Gxmessage to cite but a few; is it safe to install the Mdv2010.2
> rpms ?

Basically, yes. You may run into dependency problems but if you manage to
install such missing packages from mdv 2010.1/2010.2 without depedency
issues it's safe. Qt3 is available so you should be able to use the mageia
package for that. If no 'new package' requests for these packages are in
bugzilla you should create them.

     Christiaan