[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Remco Rijnders remco at webconquest.com
Sun Jun 5 11:39:06 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 10:27:56PM +0200, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:

>But back to the initial topic:
>
>The issue here is the request to have another list which covers
>exactly what the forums are made for. Is this really necessary and -
>the main question - would this list have a chance to be living along a
>forum? Mind that a users support list would NOT be the same as this
>list here, you can't judge what would happen in a user support list by
>looking who is posting here in this list!

Who knows what will happen? Will Mageia succeed as a distribution? Who
knows. You won't know for certain till you've tried it. There is no
guarantee a mailing list set up for this purpose will fail, nor is there
that it won't.

Some of the feedback I received so far seems to give arguments in favour
of a mailing list and then draws the opposite conclusion that a mailing
list won't be needed.

Other feedback indicates this list *is* / *isn't* the appropiate place for
user questions, and despite the opposing view points both conclude that
there is no need for a mageia-user@ list.

What I can conclude from the discussion of the past few days is that
despite support from several people for the creation of such a list, that
there is as much or more opposition to it for a variety of reasons (most
which I personally disagree with). As such, it seems unlikely that such a
list will officially be set up in the near future.

I'll personally let the subject rest for now and will reevaluate the
compatibility between my views and ideas for Mageia with that of the
founders. Apologies should anyone feel I have wasted their time bringing
this up.

Sincerely,

Remco