[Mageia-discuss] User support mailing list?

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:35:50 CEST 2011

2011/6/6 Remco Rijnders <remco at webconquest.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 05:10:20AM -0400, andre999 wrote:
>>
>> Daniel Kreuter a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I like the idea of a dedicated support ml for users. Ubuntu is using
>>> such lists and it is very well used even there exists irc and forums as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> So why shouldn't we try something like that? If it's not used we can
>>> delete the list and use the forums instead.
>>>
>>> Like already mentioned the users should decide which kind of medium to
>>> use to ask their questions.
>>>
>>> So far
>>
>>> Daniel Kreuter
>>
>> Yes indeed.
>> According to the Ubuntu wiki, the "ubuntu-users" mailing list is for
>> "Ubuntu help and user discussions"
>> They do not have a separate user discussion list.
>
> I'm not too familiar with the Ubuntu-way of things, but
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/ has the following:
> Community Support
> ubuntu-users - Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
>
> I agree that they do not seem to have a general discussion list, though I
> think this one (last one) would come closest similar to the discussions we
> have on here:
>
> Development Lists
> ubuntu-devel - Ubuntu Development (developers)
> ubuntu-devel-discuss - Ubuntu Development (users and developers)

No, you are missing the important word "devel" in the name.

>> This mailing list, called Mageia-discuss, is for user discussions and
>> help.
>> So why would you want to split this list ?
>> You're just going to remove many of the people who help.
>
> Still, why not have one mailinglist for everything then? If any split will
> result in removing people providing useful input, then we are already
> functioning suboptimally.

No, not true. We have but one list which is aimed at the general
public: this list here. It's purpose is general discussion about
Mageia. There's no word about support in the description.
All other lists are open to the public for the sake of transparency,
but each of them has a special target group (i18n, marcomm, artwork,
sysadmin, packagers, council, etc.).

--
wobo