[Mageia-discuss] Forum or mailing list

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Jun 9 19:09:23 CEST 2011

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011, Tux99 wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
>
> > > integrated in the official forum rather than separate:
> > > http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/
> >
> > Once more, as misc suggested again yesterday, and as it has been
> > replied from the beginning, you are free and welcome to join the
> > sysadmin team and/or web team and/or to work to provide a patch for
> > this feature, against our infrastructure.
> >
> > Mageia is a community thing, and it's not enough to say "it should be
> > that way" to have it done. You want it, you do it, you submit it to
> > review. Working prototypes have more value than ideas.
>
> That's easy to say for you, I have zero experience with phpbb or php
> programming in general, so I'm certainly not able to provide any patches
> to your forum.

And it's easy to suggest things and complain that it was not done.

> I suggested to use the fudforum software (which I used for the
> existing forum<>ML gateway way before you even decided on forum
> software) which has the ML<>forum gateway built-in so no patches would
> have been needed, but the Mageia admins decided to go for phpbb instead.

Other people suggested phpbb and did the setup. And I think there is
more important things to do than installing every possible forum software.
Like improving/installing build system, wiki, maintainers db, etc ...

> Personally I'm not too fussed if I have to shut down the forum gateway,
> but it would be sad for the considerable number of users that were
> reading the Mageia MLs via the ML gateway forum.

They can use gmane :
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.mageia.devel