[Mageia-discuss] Nice review!

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Sat Jun 11 15:53:17 CEST 2011

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011, Gary Montalbine wrote:

> If Mageia is to grow it needs to attract the normal user. The one's switching
> from MS. Many will not know what their video card is or may not even have the
> technical knowledge to figure out their hardware. They just want it to work.
> In ML I was asked if I wanted to load a propriety driver. I don't recall that
> happening here. I had to go find it. On bootup there was a lot of garbage
> about radeon and open spaces. I am using the radeon HD 4200 card. I have been
> an ML user since 2002 and have been able to work around problems with
> forum/mail list support. I have installed it for first time users with no
> problem. They were happy.

I can run things like neverball on a Radeon HD 5450 with the regular
driver, so I doubt you need the binary-only driver for your card. We
should however make installation of the necessary firmware files for these
cards very easy. Actually I probably have the same video device which I
disabled when I added the 5450 card, but I don't remember if I tested
3D support.

> Again, to succeed Mageia must include what is necessary for the average
> non-technical user. I want to congratulate all those who have worked so hard
> on getting the first version out.

Sure and for graphics cards that should be possible except maybe for
some nvidia hardware (I don't know how well nouveau works).

     Christiaan