[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Jul 2 13:48:16 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:22:30 +0200
Wolfgang Bornath <molch.b at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> No need to. For me a system is a whole. If I have one insecure part
> the whole system is insecure.

That's getting really off-topic. If you arguing that nobody should skip
any security update, then please make a proposal to make those
updates automatic and without user confirmation.

If OTOH Mageia asks the user to confirm updates manually (which it
currently *does*), then my request makes sense.

> As has been said, you can safely remove suggested packages, so this
> question about updates of suggested packages does not come up in the
> first place.

That's another loss of time. Why should I bother removing many packages
by hand from my system? I don't lack disk space.

You are requesting that I dedicate a lot of time administrating and
tweaking my system. Well if I wanted to do that I'd install Debian,
Gentoo or FreeBSD. There's a reason I use Mageia, which is to have a
system which is user-friendly by default and doesn't ask for a lot of
manual intervention. Being able to review updates without first typing
a password is also part of that.

Regards

Antoine.