[Mageia-discuss] mageiaupdate and the list of updates

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:11:26 CEST 2011

On 07/04/2011 04:25 AM, Morgan Leijström wrote:
> måndagen den 4 juli 2011 04.30.32 skrev  Duane Phinney:
>
>> Updates are not a suggestion,
>> they are security updates, bug fixes, updates of applications that you
>> have installed. It is not installing new programs on your computer.
>
> Updates do break things even if they technically should not.
>
> Yesterdays example: my bank refuse login after i updated firefox, saying it is
> an unsupported browser.  Technically it is not and lucklily i have saved the
> URL to step past the browser check, but my wife would have been locked out,
> and * banking is a very important usage case *.
> (and yes i have sent a bug report to the bank.)

My bank's site warned me about it, but they let it go through,
essentially saying, "If it doesn't work right it's not our fault." Same
thing when I used Chromium 11 and 12. But of course all worked just fine.

> Two yers ago i have had problems with Parallels virtualiser that did not work
> on kernels later than a certain update and they never fixed it despite repeated
> promises.

I remember a kernel update for Mandriva broke things on some computers,
including mine, a few years ago. Badly, but I don't remember the details
now. Fortunately, Mandriva always left the old kernel intact, and I was
able to log on, remove the bad kernel and go on about my business. IIRC,
it took about a week for the Mandriva guys to fix the problem and issue
another update. I hope Mageia follows the same policy of retaining the
old kernel, just in case.

TJ