[Mageia-discuss] mageia software repository

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Sat Jul 9 01:30:33 CEST 2011

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU a écrit :
>> Understood, looked at the i586 instead. Suppose a new version of
>> mplayer is released today, how long would it take to appear in the
>> repository?
>
> A new version of mplayer would not appear as an update to Mageia 1, unless it's a security fix
> or a very critical bugfix.

Bugfixes go into updates.
Backports are for new features.
(There will likely be some exceptions that go into updates.)

> It would normally appear in Mageia Cauldron, but initially in testing, I suppose.

Something like that, but not totally decided.

> Other people should tell you how long would it take until it would show up in Mageia 1 in backports, not in updates.

We're still in transition, so nobody knows.  The detailed backport policy will
be decided soon.
It will depend on how much volonteers are willing to support the backport.
(Interested users will likely be able to accelerate the process.)

>> Can urpmi be used by the command terminal to upgrade only mplayer? If
>> related library files also need to be upgraded, can urpmi select
>> automatically only those required to run the latest version of
>> mplayer? Or must the entire mageia distribution be upgraded?
 >
> When you urpmi mplayer, supposing a new mplayer package is released, the necessary dependencies will also be updated as required.

You will be warned if something needed is not available in your currently
activated repositories.

> If you really want to use the latest packages, and possibly experience some breakage, you can switch to Cauldron. This can be done by running as root the following 3 commands:
>
> urpmi.removemedia -a
>
> urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist http://mirrors.mageia.org/api/mageia.cauldron.i586.list
>
> urpmi --replacefiles --auto-update --auto

That should be _very_ _likely_ experience some breakage.  Cauldron is the
development branch, where frequent small breakage is the norm, and sometimes
much more.

--
André