[Mageia-discuss] Installer: Server v. desktop kernel: No choice?

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Sun Jul 17 18:46:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:08:53 AM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 21:58:05 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> > I was told that it was because I had
> > a 32-bit version installed on a 64-bit capable machine.  Sure enough,
> > when I  installed the 64-bit version, I got the desktop kernel by
> > default.
>
>   OIC. Interesting!
> I've been steering clear of 64-bit installs, until there a less
> problems with 64-bit apps.
>
> Pro tem I have converted to desktop kernels via urpmi.
>
> I still think the installter should have a 'server v. desktop' choice.

Maurice, the reason given was memory, as mentioned by a couple of others.  I
would have to check the thread again, but the thrust of it was:

With a 32-bit distro on a 64-bit computer, the only kernel that can handle
your RAM properly is the server kernel.  You would actually be worse off with
the desktop kernel.  I queried whether the server kernel would be slower, and
was told that it wasn't.  I haven't tried to verify any of this.

So, if you want to stay with 32-bit (I went back to it) the server kernel is
your best choice.

Doug.