[Mageia-discuss] VirtualBox releases

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Wed Jul 20 15:08:43 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:03, TJ <andrewsfarm at gmail.com> wrote:

> New VirtualBox releases are coming thick and fast. On July 15, Oracle
> released version 4.0.12. Yesterday, four days later, version 4.1.0 was
> released.
>
> At this rate, it's going to be next to impossible for the repositories to
> keep up, and to remain viable for all users they may not even want to try.
>
> If a user wants to try it on his own, what would be the best procedure? I
> had originally thought that for now the Oracle-supplied Mandriva rpms would
> probably work, but I've read that they won't because they use a version of
> Python different from that of Mageia.

They do work with a small workaround (
http://dodonov.net/blog/2011/07/19/upstream-virtualbox-openssl-versions-on-mandriva/
).

We were actually discussing it with misc on cooker yesterday, and from what
I understood they won't be supported out-of-the-box by Mageia unless Oracle
starts to recompile their packages with openssl 1.0.0.

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/