[Mageia-discuss] Minimal package number at first install

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Sep 2 10:22:10 CEST 2011

On Thursday, 1 September 2011 21:27:18 Xuo wrote:
> Le 01/09/2011 20:06, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 09:06:05PM +0200, Xuo wrote:
> >> I've just installed mageia-1 with the minimal number of packages
> >> (without urpmi) as it is possible to select during install.
> >
> > Could purely for of my curiosity, what do you use Mageia for that you
> > want as little disk space usage as possible?

Note that virtualised environments also benefit from small footprints, where
the number of VMs is normally limited by memory and disk space (unless one has
the luxury of large and fast SAN).

> I just want to have a server for nfs shares, music shares, ssh
> connections, web server, roundcube mail server, ftp server, ...
> I agree that now a days, 660Mb of disk space is not a problem (and it is
> not really for me, except that I'll have to format my root partition
> because /usr/share size really increases).
> My question is just a question of principle. Why use 660Mb when less
> could be enough ? As I said, Freenas is about 100Mb

Are they using an old version of samba? Modern (3.3 and later I think) are
quite big, and the various samba utilities, many of which should be required,
come to very close to 100MB ...

> and it is based on
> Debian. I think it could be possible to achieve something like this
> (without the drakxtools).

AFAIK, impossible to get under 100MB, unless we ship old, unsupported versions
of samba with known vulnerabilities.

Regards,
Buchan