[Mageia-discuss] [Mageia-dev] hplip update in progress - feedback needed

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 05:20:17 CEST 2011

On 09/07/2011 09:09 AM, Florian Hubold wrote:
> Am 07.09.2011 14:06, schrieb Doug Lytle:
>>
>> Florian Hubold wrote:
>>> Laserjet, Photosmart, Officejet, whatever HP printer, any feedback is
>>> appreciated!
>>
>> If you could point me to a webpage or wiki that describes what needs
>> to be done to move from a Mageia install to cauldron, I'll go ahead
>> and do that when I get out of work tonight.
>>
>> Doug
>>

> This should be it:
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=cauldron
> You can also use a specific mirror by using:
> urpmi.addmedia --distrib
> url_to_your_preferred_mirror/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/$ARCH/
>
> so for example if you'd use the ftp.mandrivauser.de mirror, it would
> look like this:
>
> urpmi.addmedia --distrib
> ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/mirrors/Mageia/distrib/cauldron/$ARCH
>
> And then i'd do an urpmi --auto-update --auto again and again,
> until it finally says: "your packages are up-to-date".
>
> But remember this may break your system, so i'd rather not do this if
> you use
> your box for production use.

I'm considering creating a VirtualBox Mageia guest within my Mageia host
and upgrading (?) that to Cauldron to try out this hplip. Would that be
useful, or would it just confuse things? I realize there would be no
danger to my host, but I was wondering if results of testing a driver in
a guest would be compromised by the host driver.

If it makes any difference, I'd be using the vendor's generic
for-any-Linux VirtualBox 4.1.2 r73507.

TJ