[Mageia-discuss] I'd like to start to discuss the possibility of having one language per iso when it comes to full DVD-versions, similar to the Live-versions.

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:47:31 CEST 2011

2011/9/14 nicolas vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org>:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, Kristoffer Grundström wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> A long time have I wondered why a Swedish man/woman would want to have more
>> languages on his/her iso to install just Swedish as language.
>>
>> I'm therefor opening a discussion to perhaps solve this little proposal
>> that I've got.
>>
>> Look at the Live-iso's that we have to offer, they come with 16 languages
>> each.
>>
>> Lets think for a second that a user doesn't want to install a Live-system &
>> to use a large iso with unnessecary languages is out of question.
>>
>> How does he/she solve it to install Mageia?
>>
>> My idea is that we transform the full-DVD iso to one-language only, but
>> more iso's in the end.
>>
>> Like this:
>>
>> mageia-dvd-1-i586.iso in a language-dir under
>> ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mageia/iso/1/
>>
>> The result is that you shrink the DVD much & you can add other stuff that
>> doesn't fit in the ordinary DVD's for some reason.......perhaps add more
>> drivers.
>
> Yes, but you will get an iso with unnessecary drivers. And unnessecary
> applications. Maybe we can make ISOs with only one language, one driver
> and one application ?

LOL!

But here's a suggestion for Kristoffer: How about making your own?

You (or somebody else in your local community) could make a custom
made "Swedish Edition", may be also with a fixed set of drivers.
Upload it to somewhere and advertize the edition here or in a
localized Mageia page, according to your mail there are lots of
servers with enough space and bandwidth to host isos.

--
wobo