[Mageia-discuss] Where is ruby and Golan support?

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 02:45:56 CEST 2011

On 18/09/11 00:37, Len Lawrence wrote:
> Not sure if this is the place to bring up installation issues but here
> goes.
>
> Downloaded my very first ISO and burnt it to DVD.  Installed Mageia 1
> on laptop without difficulty except the one which has happened in
> every one of my 60-70 Linux installs over the past 15 years, no
> network access during installation so no way of installing any
> upgrades until after the reboot.  Anyway the GNOME desktop came up
> fully customized exactly as on Mandriva but none of my home grown
> programs upon which my life depends would run => no ruby.  All the
> media sources available were installed but urpmi could not find
> anything to do with ruby except a few KDE development packages.  Does
> anybody know where ruby for Mageia lives?  And, if it is not available
> is there any likelihood that the Mandriva RPMs would install properly
> in Mageia?
>
> Post install Mageia 1 was unable to start up wlan which had been
> running happily under Mandriva 2010.1 from an Intel Corporation
> PRO/Wireless 3945 ABG [Golan] device, vintage 2008.  The wireless LED
> never comes on so no local networks listed.
>
> Like many  users I am very grateful for the time and effort the
> community has put into helping Mandriva refugees like me.  It looks
> like a huge job but unfortunately I cannot offer any help re missing
> packages because I am a fulltime carer and housekeeper for my invalid
> wife and, yes I know, everybody has problems.
>
> Best regards
>
> Len

Wifi problem solved by rummaging around on Mandriva.  It seems that a
range of Intel wifi devices are supported in packages called
iwlwifi-nnnn-ucode where nnnn id the type like 3945.  Mageia knows about
these already.  urpmi then click on the network icon on the panel and
the network choices come up immediately.  A few seconds work and no
reboot.  There seemed to be a daemon running already just waiting for
the correct module to be loaded.  Simples!