[Mageia-discuss] HP all in one DeskJet 1050 J410

blind Pete 0123peter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:24:43 CEST 2011

on Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:26
in the Usenet newsgroup gmane.linux.mageia.user
Florian Hubold wrote:

> Am 19.09.2011 08:06, schrieb blind Pete:
>> on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:08
>> in the Usenet newsgroup gmane.linux.mageia.user
>> Florian Hubold wrote:

>>> Look at the manual, normally you hold down one key during powerup of
>>> the printer, and it starts to print a selftest, which is builtin to the printer
>>> itself.
>>> You can also print a diagnosis page with supply materials information
>>> and how many pages the printer already did and such. Should be in the manual.
>>> If you can't find it, report back here and i'll find it for you.
>> There are two "manuals".  One is a sheet of paper and the other is
>> slightly better.  Also, there is a CD.  I can't even get an alignment
>> page printed.  :-(
>>
> Check:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&
prodSeriesId=4027462&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=4027462&objectID=c02061863

Mentions both Windows and Mac.

> Method one: From the product control panel
>
>      1. Make sure there is plain white, letter-size paper loaded in the input tray.

I hope that A4 is near enough.

>      2. On the product control panel, hold down the Power button (O), and then
> press the Cancel button (X) once.
>      3. Release the Power button.
>      4. The self-test report prints.

No success on that sequence.

> The link i gave also explains which cartridge prints what on that self-test page
> and common printing defects.
>
> But IIRC you should also be able to do some maintenance (cleaning nozzles,
> align ink cartridges) from one of the hplip tools (hp-toolbox or so)

I have no idea which rpm it is in, or what the executable files are
called, but there is a HP tool in the main menu structure.

It would appear that the black cartridge _partially_ works.  I have
tried to clean it.  Everything _might_ be fine if I just buy another
black cartridge.   ...then again, the printer as a whole has not
been proved to work.

The local pricing structure is that the manufacturers give away
low end printers when you buy two cartridges.  So, it is time
to print some "ordinary" stuff and if it works well enough
buy a black cartridge, or a printer.

> If all doesn't work: Can you copy a page with colors and black directly on your
> printer?
> Does the copy come out OK?

Color photocopies look OK, black ones (sometimes) come out white.

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...