[Mageia-discuss] Why would runlevel 3 take more power?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Mon Oct 3 19:33:14 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 20:35 -0500, Norman Carver wrote:
> I changed
> it to runlevel 3 since I won't be using the GUI typically.
> I had assumed this might reduce power usage a bit
> more, but surprisingly it caused the power draw to go UP
> by about 3 watts!

You could check with powertop. If you're measuring (e.g. via ssh from
another system) when the system is inactive, it might be that the video
driver for X turns the video card into a power-saving mode when it's
idle, and the console driver isn't doing that.

Are you including the display in your measurement? How exactly are you
measuring?