[Mageia-discuss] Is there any VPN server package for Mageia?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 5 04:20:56 CEST 2011

On 10/04/2011 07:40 PM, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) wrote:
> I'd like to install a VPN server on my server running Mageia, but I can only
> find pptp, not pptpd.  Would anyone please tell me that which package should I
> use, or I need to find the source and build it myself?

PPP is somewhat old technology.  The newer standard (for IPv4, anyway)
is IPSec, which is the  underlying technology for most of the newer
packages.

Installing ipsec-tools will get you software that acts as both client
and server.  It uses support in the 2.6 kernels to establish a VPN
without creating a virtual network interface.  You use /etc/ipsec.conf
to describe the subnets for the local and remote sides of the VPN, as
well as the remote side's external IP address.  The kernel establishes
the TCP session to the VPN, and silently redirects any traffic aimed at
the remote VPN from the active network interface, e.g. eth0, wlan0, to
the VPN session.

The package also includes racoon, which does IPSec key management.

If you need them, I can give you some sample conf files.  Mail me privately.