[Mageia-discuss] Mageia review with bad experience

TJ andrewsfarm at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 14:18:22 CEST 2011

On 10/09/2011 03:49 AM, andre999 wrote:

> His point about missing codecs does reflect a reaction which I suspect
> would be fairly common. A better explanation of alternatives and
> consequences would be a very good idea. Note that many (including
> myself) for various reasons don't have a reliable enough Internet
> connexion to download during install, so they may be reluctant to add
> media at that point, even if they do have Internet access.

That's certainly true. I remember with Mandrake, back before I had my
broadband connection, that I would have to pick and choose the updates I
would install, and I had to think carefully about what I would download.
There were several things that I just did without.

> It is ironic that he starts by saying that he has been pleased in his
> reviews of Mandriva, but most of his criticisms seemed to be where
> Mageia followed Mandriva practices. The tone probably being decided by
> the lack of a successful install.

I think he was looking for something new and different than the Mandriva
he reviewed before - not realizing that if that was what he wanted he
needed to stick with Mandriva.

TJ