[Mageia-discuss] TV Card and Web camera confusion

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:52:32 CEST 2011

On vendredi 14 octobre 2011 at 10:53, Marc Paré wrote :
> I would think that having a webcam and TV card should not be made this
> difficult for a normal user to configure. I am hoping that Mageia could
> somehow figure these things out on its own or at least have a help file
> somewhere to walk a user through this.

Actually, your case is quite strange, I thought the PCI bus was always
probed before USB, so the PCI card should always get the first device.

Actually, I see in /lib/udev/rules.d a file 60-persistent-v4l.rules, so it
seems there is already something to write persistent rules for video
devices.
If I understand it correctly, it should generate symlinks in /dev/v4l/by-id
and /dev/v4l/by-path, so maybe you should use those links which are supposed
to always point to the same device regardless of its actual numbering.

--
Renaud Michel