[Mageia-discuss] TV Card and Web camera confusion

andre999 andre999mga at laposte.net
Tue Oct 18 14:56:46 CEST 2011

Marc Paré a écrit :
> Le 2011-10-14 11:52, Renaud MICHEL a écrit :
>> On vendredi 14 octobre 2011 at 10:53, Marc Paré wrote :
>>> I would think that having a webcam and TV card should not be made this
>>> difficult for a normal user to configure. I am hoping that Mageia could
>>> somehow figure these things out on its own or at least have a help file
>>> somewhere to walk a user through this.
>>
>> Actually, your case is quite strange, I thought the PCI bus was always
>> probed before USB, so the PCI card should always get the first device.
>>
>> Actually, I see in /lib/udev/rules.d a file 60-persistent-v4l.rules,
>> so it
>> seems there is already something to write persistent rules for video
>> devices.
>> If I understand it correctly, it should generate symlinks in
>> /dev/v4l/by-id
>> and /dev/v4l/by-path, so maybe you should use those links which are
>> supposed
>> to always point to the same device regardless of its actual numbering.
>>

> Merci Michel,
>
> I am not knowledgeable on how to do this. Is there a way that you
> could write the steps on how to work it out?
>
> Is there anyone else having problems with this?
>
> Marc

Salut Marc

You can list the hardware installed with lshw (with root priveleges).
Under « nom logique» / "logical name"?
it gives all the device names used for each device.
(In my case it gives /dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrw, /dev/dvd, /dev/scd0, &
/dev/sr0, all for the same optical drive.  But most devices list only 1
device name.)

lshw is really useful, just in case you don't have it installed.

--
André