[Mageia-discuss] Setting up NFS shares with MCC -- fixing etc/fstab

Marc Paré marc at marcpare.com
Thu Oct 20 19:55:30 CEST 2011

Thanks Deri

Le 19/10/11 04:36 PM, Deri James a écrit :
> On Wednesday 19 Oct 2011 14:17:35 Marc Paré wrote:
>> I was just reviewing my old Mandriva posts and here is a problem with
>> setting up NFS shares that still exists in Mageia.
>>
>> It would be nice if someone else could confirm and really nice if this
>> were fixed in Mageia. It would be a lot easier for newbies to set up
>> shares on their home machines.
>
> I can confirm that MCC setting up and accessing NFS shares works perfectly on
> Mageia. I don't believe MCC supports NFS v4 (you have to do that manually).

Just to make sure:

* you have 2 computers and set shares on either a drive or file folder
on computer #1
* on computer #2, you then used MCC->Network Sharing ->Access NFS shared
drives and directories and clicked on "Search servers"
* the result of the "Search servers" found your computer #1 IP
* you then clicked on the computer #1 IP which then showed your shared
drive or folder
* you then clicked on the shared folder and clicked "Mount point" on the
bottom
* a window appeared saying "Where do you want to mount
"TheNameOfYourFolder" and it gave you the option of where to mount it.
(I usually leave it at default "/mnt/TheNameOfYourFolder") and clicked OK
* you then clicked "Mount" and you DID NOT GET A WINDOW SAYING "mounting
partition .... failed"
* you clicked on "Done"
* a confirming window opened saying "Do you want to save the /etc/fstab
modifications? and you clicked Yes

If this worked every time, it would be awesome. I have found that it
does not work. In my case I always get the warning window: "mounting
partition .... failed" and I then have to modify the fstab by hand with
the computer IP address.

Cheers

Marc