[Mageia-discuss] Replacing LibreOffice and Gimp by Calligra

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:31:34 CET 2011

2011/11/14 Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au>:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 03:02:03 PM mageia-discuss-request at mageia.org wrote:
>>
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:07:19 -0700
>> From: Aaron Mendo Andrade <aaronmen_se at live.com.mx>
>> To: <mageia-discuss at mageia.org>
>> Subject: [Mageia-discuss] Replacing LibreOffice and Gimp by Calligra
>>       in      Mageia 2
>>

>> Hi all, I would like to see the next version of Mageia more integrated into
>> the KDE version and so it occurred to me that is a good idea instead of
>> LibreOffice and The Gimp replace by Calligra for the version 2 of mageia
>> by then calligra version 2.4 will ready .
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Greetings!!!.
>>
> If Aaron wants a "solid KDE" distro, that is what Mandriva wants to be,
> according to its publicity.  If he can wait that long...

If somebody wants a "pure KDE" distro then he can easily replace
"external" applications like LO and Gimp with their KDE equivalents.
But Mageia is NOT a KDE-only distro and is not planning to become
such. The installation media are filled with the most popular
applications, individual wishes/requirements to be cared for after
installation. LO and Gimp are 2 of the most popular applications for
almost all kind of users. I'm a KDE user from the start (KDE1 with
SuSE, then Mandrake Linux) but guess what I would install first after
installation? LO and Gimp (if they would be missing on the media).
This may be because my priority lies on function rather than looks, so
I do not care for such "ugly GTK+" issues some people may have.

BTW: I do not subscribe to the Mageia more integrated into KDE" point
of view. KDE is a desktop environment to be integrated into the
distribution. So for me it's the other way round.

--
wobo