[Mageia-discuss] Sun java updates must now be downloaded and installed manually.

Oliver Burger oliver.bgr at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 23 09:33:21 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2011, 09:22:03 schrieb Alejandro López:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM, D.Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why ?  openjdk is good enough to replace oracle java.
> > and soonish we will have java7 too in mageia so i really don't see now
> > the need of the closed source one.
>
> Everything you said is true, but let me disagree with your question. Why
> not? Some users might prefer Oracle's java, while others might rather use
> OpenJDK. As long as there are volunteers for maintaining both packages, why
> shou;d it be one or the other? Why not providing both?

let me answer this from another perspective.

Mageia is an OpenSource project. So it should be our main goal to promote
OpenSource software.
As there is a good alternative in OpenJDK, I don't really see a need for
providing a proprietary solution.
In addition, I personally see the revocation of the redistribution license by
Oracle as an "unfriendly act" towards the wider OpenSource community.

So why should we bother to promote Oracle Jave by creating a workarround in
our packaging system, when they are clearly moving away from the OpenSource
community?
After all, developers who really need Oracle Java will find it quite easy to
install it directly from the Oracle website.

Oliver