[Mageia-discuss] Enhance GRUB

JA Magallon jamagallon at ono.com
Mon Dec 12 23:53:57 CET 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:39:51 -0500
Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2011 04:24 PM, Kristoffer Grundström wrote:

> >> That's why you can use titles as you want, to easier distinguish those.
> > And how is a newbie supposed to see that he/she can do so?
> >
> Newbies, for the most part, don't often run multiple distros on the same
> machine, and even less often have to resort to booting old kernels.
> When Mageia updates a kernel, it creates new entries with the full
> kernel name for the version it is replacing, but alters the existing
> entry for the replaced kernel in place.  So, as the initial install gave
> you a "Mageia" title entry for the installed system, this will always be
> set to the last installed kernel.  Also, Windows partitions are
> identified as such in the Mageia-generated titles.

Side note... a 'problem' I always have to do by hand and EasyBCD...
Would it be feasible, when installer detects there is a windows partition,
add the Linux entry to the windows boot menu ?
Probably XP is easy, boot.ini is text, but for Win7 you must edit the
BCD programatically. Are there linux tools to do that ?

TIA