[Mageia-discuss] Enhance GRUB

Olav Dahlum odahlum at broadpark.no
Tue Dec 13 02:54:53 CET 2011

On 13/12/11 00:01, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
> 2011/12/12 JA Magallon <jamagallon at ono.com>:
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:39:51 -0500
>> Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> wrote:

>>> Newbies, for the most part, don't often run multiple distros on the same
>>> machine, and even less often have to resort to booting old kernels.
>>> When Mageia updates a kernel, it creates new entries with the full
>>> kernel name for the version it is replacing, but alters the existing
>>> entry for the replaced kernel in place.  So, as the initial install gave
>>> you a "Mageia" title entry for the installed system, this will always be
>>> set to the last installed kernel.  Also, Windows partitions are
>>> identified as such in the Mageia-generated titles.
>>>

>> Side note... a 'problem' I always have to do by hand and EasyBCD...
>> Would it be feasible, when installer detects there is a windows partition,
>> add the Linux entry to the windows boot menu ?
>> Probably XP is easy, boot.ini is text, but for Win7 you must edit the
>> BCD programatically. Are there linux tools to do that ?
>
> Is there a special reason you need the Windows bootloader? Normally
> you let the Linux bootloader do the work, the installer detects all
> Windows installations and inserts the proper entries in the menu.lst -
> you can also set the boot default to Windows very easy (if you want).

The point would be how the Windows installer handles other operating
systems except itself, and the fact that it will overwrite GRUB with
its own boot loader, rendering other systems non existent from a
boot menu. There's no easy fix to this issue, and editing from
a system you can't even boot into from a cold boot, is not an
feasible option.

Some GRUB magic can however be applied, fooling Windows into thinking
its on the first drive, but that only really works after installing it
as far as I know.

– Olav